1 Permanent Scheduled Part Time Position
Planning & Continuous Improvement Division - Applied Research & Evaluation
Location: 1 Hughson Street North, 3rd Floor
Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Manager, Applied Research & Evaluation, the Project Manager, Public Health Core Competencies will lead the development and implementation of a competency-based framework to ensure Public Health Services' workforce have high quality, consistent and portable skills to improve Public Health Services' ability to respond to new and emerging needs.
- Develop a long term strategy to implement core public health services staff competencies that includes: conducting needs assessments, prioritizing gaps in education of Public Health Services staff, implementing a plan to address those gaps, maintaining staff competencies.
- Manage the implementation of the public health services core competencies long term strategy which includes: defining and documenting the project requirements, developing the project charter, scope, deliverables, timelines, resource requirements and identifying project risks. Confirm the commitment for the project sponsor, stakeholders and project team members.
- Administer and monitor the project budget in accordance with Corporate and Departmental procedures, ensuring that project expenditures are within budgeted levels.
- Prepare oral and written presentations for management and Board of Health and report regularly on the status of project, milestone achievement, fiscal status, and change and risk management. Prepare recommendations and outline preferred course of action.
- Use continuous improvement principles to implement an evaluation process, develop mechanisms to ensure staff and core competencies remain current.
- Develop monitoring and reporting mechanisms for core competencies work.
- Prepare Requests for Information (RFI) and Requests for Proposals (RFP) to access external expertise when required. Prepare letters of agreement with external consultants and manage contracted work.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to ensure that public health services core competencies are included in the development of staff recruitment materials, performance planning, performance appraisal templates, job and professional standards.
- Collaborate with Human Resources to align Public Health Services core competency work with corporate organizational development initiatives where possible to ensure efficiency and alignment with corporate strategic goals.
- Participate in the development of divisional policies and procedures, goals and objectives.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and external partners (e.g. the public, other public health services, and the provincial government).
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the major responsibilities of this position.
- Demonstrated competence in project management, business planning, fiscal management, performance measurement and evaluation normally acquired through a degree in Business or Public Administration, or relevant experience or related discipline pertinent to the job functions combined with project management experience.
- In-depth knowledge of human performance normally attained through post secondary education with emphasis in behavioural sciences, instructional technology, adult education, process improvement, organizational development and/or change management.
- Proven experience in organizational effectiveness and large scale change management projects is required.
- Demonstrated ability to inform, educate and influence employees to support corporate goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated experience implementing programs across large organizations and/or multiple business units.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, facilitation skills and presentation skills, a team leader and mentor possessing highly developed negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Must posses a thorough knowledge of the current suite of Microsoft productivity tools, including PowerPoint, Excel, Visio and Word. Microsoft Project is an asset.
- Knowledge of public health services an asset.
Salary: Salary Grade 5, $34.783-$36.716-$38.648 per hour ($32.851 probationary rate)
Hours: 21 per week
The incumbent shall comply with all health and safety policies and practices for this position and the workplace
This Notice was posted on July 5, 2007, and closes on July 11, 2007.
It is the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licenses and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above with their application for this competition and ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all present employees.
Applications should be forwarded to
Tara Russo, Staffing Specialist
120 King Street West, 9th Floor
Tara Russo, Staffing Specialist
City Hall, 71 Main Street West
Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5