This is an exciting time to join the Public Health Division in the City of Toronto, and make your contribution in this following key role.
* Under the direction of the Manager, Mental Health, this employee will be involved in a community oriented mental health service with an emphasis on promotion and prevention.
* Identifies mental health needs of the community.
* Advocates for and participates in the development and implementation of programs to meet the mental health needs of the community, including educational programs for professionals and lay persons and relevant committee work.
* Consults with and advises Public Health staff and community groups in mental health matters.
* Assesses persons with mental health problems and, where necessary, makes referrals to appropriate services.
* Assists in the coordination and delivery of Community Crisis Intervention and Support following community crisis events.
1. Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing from a recognized university with preparation in Public Health or a Diploma in Public Health Nursing. A Master's Degree in Nursing or a Certificate in Mental Health Nursing from the Canadian Nursing Association, would be an asset.
2. Current certificate of Competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario
3. Significant experience in mental health promotion, including consultation
4. Experience working directly with clients who have had mental health problems
5. Possession of a valid class "G" Driver's License and access to a vehicle
6. Demonstrated ability in health promotion and education strategies
7. Ability to work as a consultant on mental health matters with Public Health staff and external groups
8. Good communication, interpersonal, assessment and counseling skills and the ability to work in a team environment
9. Demonstrated ability in report preparation
10. Ability to work flexible hours that may include overtime, shift work, and occasional evenings and weekends
Job Status: Temporary (approximately 1 year)
Applications must be received by June 10, 2005.
To apply for this position, please send us a resume and cover letter, quoting File # X5CNS7826, using one of the following methods:
Fax (416) 397-9818 or
Email [email protected] or
Mail to Employment Services
Human Resources, City of Toronto
Metro Hall, 55 John Street, 5th Floor
Toronto, ON M5V 3C6
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The City's Corporate Access & Privacy Office advises that sending personal information by fax may not be a secure means of transmission.