Reports to the Manager, Needle Exchange Program
* Provides counselling, education, support, referrals and basic nursing services to injection drug users and sex trade workers
* Does venipuncture and gives vaccines
* Exchanges needles and distributes condoms to injection drug users and sex trade workers
* Assesses client health, social and housing needs and makes referrals as necessary
* Provides information and education regarding safer drug use and safer sex practices
* Makes referrals to drug treatment and detox as required
* Assists clients in accessing community resources
* Provides basic health care in the form of first aid, basic medical assessments and makes referrals to appropriate health care services as required
* Maintains records and collects information for evaluation purposes
* Participates on internal and external committees as requested by Manager
* Establishes and maintains links with appropriate agencies
* Assists in the development of new programs and/or services
1. Experience working in an outreach capacity
2. Registered nursing certificate with the Province of Ontario
3. Possession of a valid Ontario Driver's License Class "G" and be able to pass the test for and qualify to receive a City Equipment Operator's License
4. Demonstrated ability to conduct work in a non-judgemental way, using a harm reduction approach
5. Excellent assessment skills
6. Thorough knowledge of HIV/AIDS prevention issues
7. Thorough knowledge of addictions issues
8. Knowledge of harm reduction
9. Knowledge of drug treatment (including methadone), social, health, housing and HIV/AIDS related services
10. Awareness of issues related to sex trade workers
11. Thorough knowledge of Hepatitis
12. Proven ability to work as a member of a team
13. Ability to work flexible hours, which may include overtime, shift work, and occasional evenings and weekends
To apply for this position, please send us a resume and cover letter, quoting File #X4CNS6383, using one of the following methods:
FAX: 416-397-9818, or
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mail to: Employment Services, Human Resources, City of Toronto, Metro Hall, 55 John Street, 5th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 3C6.
Applications must be received by October 29th, 2004.
Committed to employment equity, the City of Toronto encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.