The North Bay & District Health Unit is seeking a full time Community Health Promoter (Union- OPSEU). The Community Health Promoter works with businesses/workplaces, community agencies and groups, volunteers, health professionals and health unit staff to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a range of health promotion programs under the requirements of the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention Program, with a focus on substance abuse prevention. The successful candidate also provides leadership and coordination in the development of healthy public policies for all mandatory programs.
* Baccalaureate degree (4 years) in health sciences/applied science or an equivalent combination of education and experience
* Two years experience in health promotion programming, including community development, health policy analysis and development, social
marketing, mass communication and media, application of health behaviour change theory, program planning, implementation and
* Demonstrated ability to facilitate the establishment and implementation of healthy public policies through advocacy, negotiation, writing and presenting position papers, research and analysis of policy options, community mobilization and consensus building
* Experience in substance abuse prevention, particularly among youth
* Ability to critically assess applied health research and develop detailed program proposals and reports
* Execellent verbal, written, and mass communication skills
* Ability to use computer technology for program data management using MS Word, Access, Excel, and Power Point
* Fluency in both official languages would be an asset
* Willingness to work flex hours to meet program needs as required
* Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
Must have a minimum "G2" Ontario Driver's License and vehicle required (monthly allowance and kilometer rate provided)
Salary: Minimum $38,080 to Maximum $42,859, excellent benefit package
Closing Date: June 30, 2000, at 4:00 pm
Address Applications to : North Bay & District Health Unit, 681 Commercial Street, North Bay, ON, P1B 4E7, Applications may be faxed to
705-474-8252. Ensure job posting # PH/2000/008 is recorded on envelope and application.
ONLY THOSE APPLICANTS SELECTED FOR AN INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED, TELEPHONE INQUIRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. The Health Unit is an equal opportunity employer and complies with the Human Rights Code. We do not wish to receive nor will we consider any information which offends a prohibited ground under the Code.