Deadline November 23, 2017
Position Title: Senior Program Specialist – Health Promotion
Department: Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention
Duration: Permanent Full-time
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Internal applicants to be considered first
Salary: $76,590 to $107,232
Posting Date: November 9 , 2017
Closing Date: November 23 , 2017
Great people, exceptional teams building a stronger Public Health Ontario.
We are Public Health Ontario (PHO). We live our values as a shared promise to each other, our clients and our partners. We value credibility, innovation, responsiveness, collaboration, integrity and respect.
With our partners in Ontario’s health system, we monitor and address the needs of the population by providing the scientific evidence and expert guidance that shapes policies and practices for a healthier Ontario. With locations across Ontario, we are working to ensure that Ontario has the strongest public health system in the world so that every day Ontarians wake up in one of the safest places to live in the world.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
To provide specialized subject matter expertise in all areas of health promotion related to the mandate of PHO; to prepare responses to scientific, and technical issues; to contribute to the ongoing review and analysis of scientific literature, grey literature assessments and surveys; to develop and implement guidelines, tools, studies, reports, and publications to support initiatives; to work with partners to identify gaps, strengthen systems, and promote effective public health practice.
- Leads initiatives and projects that require a senior level support due to a variety of factors including engagement with multiple partners, multiple jurisdictions, significant visibility, urgency, and/or substantial complexity of the subject matter.
- Identifies research opportunities, develops research proposals, funding applications.
- Contributes to the ongoing review, analysis and evaluation of scientific literature, risk assessments and surveys in order to provide useful and current public health consultation. Reviews proposals and reports from other ministries and agencies regarding their public health implications, notably in the area of health promotion.
- Identifies and highlights changes and developments in best practice and provides scientific and technical support the MOHLTC, Health Units, and other partners as appropriate to help ensure that policy and practice are evidence informed.
- Works with health units to improve quality of data and provides scientific and technical support to maintain high quality and consistency of programming.
- Ensures that privacy requirements under PHIPA, government guidelines and regulations, and best practices are adhered to and implemented at all times.
- Provides technical and scientific input into the development of ministry policies, legislation and standards by providing information and advice on health promotion theory and practical application.
- Prepares responses to scientific and technical issues on behalf of PHO regarding public health aspects.
- Works in close collaboration with members of the team and internal PHO counterparts including members of Science and Population Health, the Public Health Laboratories, and Corporate Services.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with external partners at municipal and provincial levels.
- Assists with provincial coordination of initiatives and collaborates with health units.
- Provides technical and scientific interpretation and consultative advice on behalf of PHO to health units, local/provincial working groups, community agencies and other stakeholders with regards to health promotion initiatives and other related public health matters.
- Prepares or contributes to policy briefs, issue analyses, letters, speeches, presentations, reports, summaries, and position papers for senior management and in response to correspondence.
- Participates in issues management through providing technical input into the response to public inquiries.
- Chairs or participates in inter-governmental committees/task forces and maintain ongoing liaison with colleagues, the MOHLTC, other ministries, professional associations, and universities, and provincial counterparts to develop partnerships with key stakeholders to work on issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree, in a field related to public health.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in the areas of health promotion, public health, or related field.
Additional details can be found at http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp....