Deadline May 30, 2017
Division/Location: Public Health Surveillance & Evaluation
Position: Data Analyst
Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full time position working 35 hours per week.
Reporting to the Manager & Senior Epidemiologist, Public Health Surveillance & Evaluation, this position is responsible for collecting, managing, analyzing and disseminating data to support public health program decisions, surveillance, communications and provide health information to the community.
The successful candidate must possess a university degree with a focus on data management, health informatics, statistics, and/or a related field. Three (3) years’ experience in a public health or healthcare setting involving data management, with a demonstrated ability to attend to details, identify problems, and creatively solve them in a collegial manner is required. Experience related to administration of large databases, quality assurance, and staff training is also required. Extensive experience with Microsoft Excel is essential. The candidate must possess exceptional problem resolution, troubleshooting, organizational, negotiation, and customer service skills. Excellent project management skills and the ability to plan, manage, and prioritize tasks/projects with competing deadlines is required. Experience using statistical software packages (e.g. SPSS, STATA, and/or SAS), as well as exposure to population health databases (RRFSS, CCHS, Intellihealth) is preferred. Specific knowledge of public health database systems, including iPHIS (Integrated Public Health Information System)/Cognos and Panorama/PEAR, as well as subject knowledge of infectious diseases, immunization, outbreak management, and surveillance are assets. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Responsible for quality assurance, maintenance, data cleaning, and reporting related to iPHIS/Cognos and Panorama/PEAR. This includes staff training, document management, issue resolution, duplicate management, and ad hoc requests.
- Creates and maintains Cognos and PEAR reports and supports reporting for surveillance and Public Health accountability and performance measurement.
- Supports epidemiologists with population health assessment and surveillance activities by cleaning and analyzing health related data and providing graphs, data tables, and/or written summaries of results.
- Evaluates and assesses problems reported by users of databases. Liaises with local IT staff and/or provincial helpdesks to investigate and solve problems.
- Facilitates implementation of new software and modules as well as implements appropriate training curriculum using adult education principles for system changes and/or new users.
- Ensures accuracy of data entry processes and security of data for consistency and compliance with provincial legislation, and regional and departmental policies and procedures.
- Participates on provincial workgroups related to information systems such as iPHIS and Panorama, and disseminates appropriate information to users.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: May 16, 2017
Posting Expires: May 30, 2017
Posting #: H-218-17
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resources at 905-825-6000 ext. 7700 if you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.
NOTE: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings: http://webaps.halton.ca/about/jobs/JobPostings.cfm