Deadline May 3, 2017
JOB ID #: 12552
City of Hamilton Public Health Services
Planning & Business Improvement
100 Main Street West
Number of Vacancies: 1
Union/Non-Union: Non Union Mgmt Professional
Hours of Work: 35.00 Per Week
Salary/Hour: $41.184- $48.167 per hour
*Note: See appropriate Collective Agreement or the Non Union Salary Range for details.
Status/Length: Full-Time Regular (Permanent)
Job Description ID #: 2132
Reporting to the Epidemiology & Evaluation Manager, the epidemiologist shall contribute to the understanding of the health status of Hamilton’s populations used to guide the planning and delivery of programs and services in an integrated health system. The epidemiologist shall conduct population health assessment and surveillance on a wide array of health determinants; and; initiate, plan, design, coordinate, implement and evaluate projects across public health services.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Master's Degree in Epidemiology or Public Health that included courses/experience in population health assessment and outbreak/health hazard management, or equivalent. Demonstrated experience, knowledge and skills in public health such as population health assessment, surveillance, outbreak/health hazard management, theoretical models, health informatics, project management, health promotion, evaluation, evidence-informed decision making, policy analysis and knowledge translation.
- Computer and data management skills, including ability to design and analyze data bases, including statistical analysis on computer, e.g. epi-info, SPSS/SAS, desktop publishing, Simple Survey, Microsoft Office, or related programs.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, expertise and work in a variety of interdisciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate extensively with interdisciplinary teams and the community to disseminate or support dissemination of information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, including preparing and delivering presentations on health status and epidemiological issues for staff, the public and external agencies, as required
- Demonstrated customer service skills by focusing and meeting the needs of public health programs
Note: This competition will include an interview and/or assessment as part of the selection process.
Please apply online at
on or before 05/03/2017.
Be advised that Human Resources frequently audits resumes of internal/external applicants to ensure/validate information provided is consistent and trustworthy. Falsification of information provided at any time throughout the recruitment process may be grounds for disqualification discipline up to and including termination.
The City is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Consistent with our Values and Corporate Culture Pillars, the City of Hamilton is committed to providing equitable treatment to all with respect to barrier-free employment and accommodation without discrimination. The City will provide accommodation for applicants in all aspects of the hiring process, up to the point of undue hardship. If you have an accommodation need, please contact Human Resources as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
We invite you to visit the departmental webpage to obtain further information on the culture and business of this department: https://www.hamilton.ca/public-health.
The incumbent shall comply with all Health and Safety Policies and Practices for this position and the workplace.
It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that their application reaches Human Resources by the closing date or they may not be considered. It is also the responsibility of applicants to supply qualifications, licences and related experience relevant to the qualifications outlined above for this competition as directed. On the basis of the criteria set out above, this posting is open to all applicants,
The statements made by me are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification of statements, misrepresentations, deliberate omission or concealment of information may be considered just cause for dismissal.