Deadline March 8, 2017
We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and east downtown area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, housing assistance, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education for high school students, infant and child development programs, parenting education and family advocacy. We currently have the following opening on our Clinical team:
Internal / External Posting
Registered Practical Nurse
Temporary part-time: to Dec 31, 2017 (with possibility of extension)
Mondays & Fridays 14 hrs / week
Salary Range: $24.22 to $29.18 per hour
As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) serves a high density low income, multicultural, inner city community through a variety of methods including direct client care, health promotion and education. The RPN works within the framework of the social determinants of health with an emphasis on health promotion.
The RPN provides direct client care by:
- Triaging of walk in clients and telephone screening of clients;
- Developing and implementing, with other team members, a plan of care for clients with stabilized chronic illnesses (e.g. diabetes, hypertension, obesity);
- Screening and assessing clients with minor episodic illnesses according to established protocols;
- Providing supportive and therapeutic counselling and crisis intervention on an individual or group basis on such issues as sexuality, family planning, pregnancy choices, family violence, lifestyle;
- Assists with referring clients to specialist, hospital or community agencies as needed after consultation with team members;
- Performing basic nursing skills (e.g. dressings injections, suture/clip removal and assisting with other procedures as required);
- Performing added nursing skills (according to College of Nurses) as required as venipuncture, pulmonary function testing, ECG's;
- Assisting physician(s) with prescription ordering;
- Assessing and making recommendations for the purchase of equipment as needed;
- Cleaning and sterilizing of equipment;
- Maintaining accurate records using electronic health record system;
- Participating to case conferences with other RPCHC staff (both clinical and non-clinical) to ensure co-ordination of services to clients;
- Writing chart summaries for transfer or legal purposes (e.g. CAS) as required; and
- Assisting with the planning, implementation and evaluation of other Primary Case Programmes in consultation with team members and RPCHC staff.
- Certification as a Registered Practical Nurse in the Province of Ontario.
- At least 2 -3 years experience working as RPN in health care setting.
- Demonstrated understanding of clinical theories and practices.
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Records – experience with Nightingale on Demand an asset
- Knowledge of pharmacology
- Knowledge of health care system
- Knowledge of available resources accessible to clients (e.g. food banks, local shelters, mental health programmes, etc.)
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles and ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
Please send your resume and letter of interest to Sophie Bart, Director of Clinical Services:
Regent Park Community Health Centre
465 Dundas St. E. Toronto, ON M5A 2B2
or Email: email@example.com
Application deadline is 5:00 pm March 8, 2017.
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation to ensure you will be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner.