Deadline September 28, 2014
Salary range: $51,641-$62,219 plus benefits package
Position Type: Full-time 1.0 FTE
WellFort is a non-profit, values based organization that provides health promotion and prevention programs, primary health care and works with local residents and other agencies to increase community capacity. Members of the WellFort family include Bloom Clinic, Bramalea CHC, Diabetes Education Program, Four Corners, and Health n’ Smiles. WellFort is committed to providing inclusive, accessible and sustainable programs and services to a diversely rich community through its service delivery philosophy; Open Focused Care. We are seeking individuals with a passion and commitment towards innovation and an inclusive workplace that respects and values the diversity of every individual.
WellFort is seeking a dietitian to work in our Diabetes Education Program!
The DEP offers education and support services for adults with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. As part of the DEP team, the Diabetes Dietitian will engage in a combination of direct care, health promotion and education, advocacy and community development work.
- Plan, deliver, promote, and evaluate community-based diabetes prevention and self-management programs.
- Provide client centered counseling to individuals, including assessment and monitoring using a self-management approach
- Create health promotion and educational materials to suit the specific circumstances of client groups.
- Ensure continuity of care by maintaining up-to date electronic health records, communication with the client and primary health care providers as well as other service providers, as required.
- Work collaboratively with WellFort staff, community partners, and clients in areas of program development, health promotion, community development and advocacy initiatives that positively influence the determinants of health, community mobilization, and healthy public policy.
- Undergraduate Degree in food and nutrition from a recognized University or equivalent.
- Completion of Dietitians of Canada accredited Dietetic Internship.
- Registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario.
- 2 years experience working as a diabetes educator or working in a community-based health promotion setting working in a similar position.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is an asset or willingness to acquire
- Demonstrated experience in health promotion program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating groups and providing individual counseling using a client centered approach
- Ability to work independently and collaborate effectively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Sensitivity to and awareness of cultural, racial, economic, and socially diverse communities and how individual circumstances influence diabetes self-management
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with the ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Familiarity with client centered and self-management approaches to chronic disease prevention and management
- Proficient in various software applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and EMR’s
- Languages relevant to Peel residents an asset
The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in WellFort’s commitment to becoming an inclusive, barrier free health centre and an ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
This position requires flexibility in hours of work to support accessible program service delivery and the centre hours of operation. As such the position entails evening and weekend work.
Please forward your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected].
Please quote “DEP RD 0914” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: September 28, 2014