Deadline October 10, 2013
Location: Health Protection Services – Communicable Diseases Control Services
Position: Public Health Nurse
Salary Range: $36.03-$44.34 per hour (ONA)
Note: Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This position is being offered on a full-time basis working 35 hours per week.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing which includes preparation in Public Health Nursing from a recognized University is required. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required. Two years of recent experience in counseling, educating, program planning, implementation related to communicable disease case management and investigation are preferred. Excellent writing and communication skills, skill in critical appraisal of research studies, and knowledge of health promotion are essential. Must be proficient with computers and a variety of software. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel may be required between locations within Halton Region. Incumbent must supply own transportation and have a valid Ontario driver’s license. Flexibility in work schedule is required for on-call work on a rotational basis and for the provision of Direct Observed Therapy (DOT) services and home visiting as required.
Using standards of promoting health, building individual/community capacity, building relationships, facilitating access and equity, and professional responsibility and accountability, the nursing duties will include the following:
- Works in a specialized program to provide counseling, case management and consultation to individuals, health professionals and groups on infectious disease-related issues.
- Develops and implements educational initiatives on a variety of infectious diseases, vaccine preventable diseases (VPD) and infection prevention and control issues for agencies, institutions and the community at large.
- Collaborates with staff to develop and implement educational activities for health professionals, groups and the community on infection prevention and control and infectious disease-related issues.
- Investigates reports of infectious diseases and participates in outbreak management as required.
- Develops and reviews, on an ongoing basis, educational resources on infectious diseases and infection prevention and control.
- Provides immunization in school and community-based clinics.
- Responsible for cold chain inspections and education.
- Participates in activities related to the management of emergencies of public health importance including pandemic planning activities
- Performs Direct Observed Therapy (DOT) services as required.
- Participates in project and program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Responsible for utilizing an electronic data base as part of case management systems.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Posted: October 2, 2013
Posting Expiry: October 10, 2013
Posting #: H-242-13
Apply online: http://webaps.halton.ca/about/jobs/JobPostings.cfm
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.