Deadline October 15, 2013
Position Type: Full-Time permanent
Location: Downtown Toronto
ParticipACTION is the national voice of physical activity and sport participation in Canada. Originally established in 1971, ParticipACTION was re-launched in 2007 to help prevent the looming inactivity crisis that faces Canada. As a national not-for-profit organization solely dedicated to inspiring and supporting healthy and active living for Canadians, it works with its partners, which include sport, physical activity, recreation organizations, government and corporate sponsors, to inspire and support Canadians to move more. ParticipACTION is generously supported by Sport Canada.
ParticipACTION manages and supports a variety of initiatives including the ParticipACTION Teen Challenge, a by-youth, for-youth community-based physical activity initiative in partnership with Coca-Cola Canada, and Sports Day in Canada, a national celebration of sport from grass roots to high performance in communities across Canada in partnership with CBC Sports and True Sport. ParticipACTION also engages in ongoing campaigns and communications with the public and physical activity partners across the country.
Reporting to the Manager of Projects, the Projects Lead is responsible for the planning and execution of all project deliverables within an assigned projects portfolio. The Projects Lead assists in exploring and strategizing new opportunities.
1. Contributes to the planning process for projects in his/her portfolio
- Works with the Manager of Projects in planning and proposal development
- Develops work plans and critical paths
- Plans and chairs project team meetings, coordinates logistics, prepares and circulates meeting materials and minutes and liaises with project team as needed
- Investigates, explores and identifies opportunities for collaborating with new partners
2. Contributes to the planning of project budgets in his/her portfolio and is responsible for monitoring and maintaining budgets
- Investigates and collects supplier quotes
- Develops budgets, processes invoices and obtains approval from Manager of Projects specific to elements within a project
- Monitors expenses against predetermined budgets
3. Lead the execution of multiple project deliverables in his/her portfolio.
- Identifies key deliverables and expectations of external consultants within project
- Track, monitor and update workplans
- Oversees members of the implementation team to deliver against the workplan
- Drafts correspondence and communications
- Contributes to the planning, implementation and evaluation of projects
- Coordinates development, design, production and distribution of project specific materials
- Drafts official interim and final reports as required
- Represents projects to others and at various promotional venues as required
4. Interacts with relevant project suppliers, clients, partners and other stakeholders
- Manages external consultants and suppliers based upon negotiated deliverables to goals and objectives
- Responds to all telephone and on-line inquiries specific to projects and portfolio
- Provides support and seeks input from partner organizations as necessary
- Represents the interests of ParticipACTION to various stakeholders
5. Coordinates administrative functions
- Maintains accurate project reports, records and files, manually and electronically
6. Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in Physical and Health Education / Promotion, Sport Marketing / Administration, Health Sciences, business or related discipline.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the planning and execution of projects, programs, events, and leading meetings/work teams is required
- Knowledge of the health and physical activity sector and community engagement is required
- Experience monitoring budgets, coordinating communications and working with external suppliers and clients is necessary.
- Effective project management skills and ability to multi-task are required for this position.
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Ability to analyze evaluation results and write reports required
- Experience working with corporate and/or government sponsors a strong asset
- Proficient in MS Office programs
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset
- Strong written, oral communication skills and presentations skills are required
Please submit a covering letter that highlights why you are a good fit for the position and please include your salary expectations. Applications should be submitted to HR@ParticipACTION.com by 5 p.m. on October 15th, 2013.