Deadline May 31, 2013
Reporting to: VP Research, Health Promotion & Survivorship
About Prostate Cancer Canada:
Prostate Cancer Canada is one of the leading funders of prostate cancer research in Canada. Its research programs are critical to continue to build and support the prostate cancer research community in Canada to allow the generation of new knowledge of how to prevent, diagnose and treat prostate cancer.
This position plays a pivotal leadership role in the administration of all PCC research programs. Reporting to the VP Research, Health Promotion & Survivorship, the Director, Research Programs will oversee the peer review process for all PCC research programs and work with the Manager, Grants and Awards to administer all funded PCC grants. The Director will prepare new funding opportunities, oversee their launch and monitor and evaluate their success relative to goals over time. In addition the position will play a key role as an ambassador for PCC with the researchers, the patient and survivor community and with partner agencies.
This position would likely appeal to an individual who has recently completed an advanced degree in a health-related discipline or is currently conducting postdoctoral health research, but is seeking a new and exciting challenge, working to improve health outcomes in this important cause.
- Works closely with the VP Research, Health Promotion & Survivorship to determine future research related strategic directions of PCC.
- Fulfils a leadership role in the development and implementation of all new research programs and the evolution of existing programs to ensure they continue to meet the needs of PCC and the research community
- Identifies and recruits reviewers for all PCC research competitions
- With the Manager, Grants and Awards, oversees the administration of all PCC research grants and awards
- Develops and implements appropriate operational policies and procedures to govern existing and new research programs
- Promotes funding opportunities to the research community by the preparation of Requests for Applications and other program notices
- Leads the formal evaluation of research investments and oversees the preparation of reports to demonstrate impact on prostate cancer
- Prepares detailed analyses of PCC programs and prostate cancer research to help decision-making
- Develop, manage and monitor budget for the research program
- Acts as a scientific advisor and resource to various internal and external stakeholders
- Responds to enquiries from researchers, institutions, donors and the public
- Functions as a key PCC ambassador for research to the scientific community, to government agencies, to other funding agencies and to the general public
- Brings relevant items and issues to the attention of the Vice President
- Works collaboratively to support other internal activities such as communications, marketing and revenue development
Qualifications and Experience
- Advanced Degree in a life sciences or health related discipline
- Experience working in a research administration environment an asset
- Significant understanding of the peer review process
- Problem solving skills to identify solutions to complex issues
- Ability to communicate effectively to multiple audiences (general public as well individuals from the scientific community)
- Statistical, analytical and methodological skills to interpret research funding trends
- Experience in evaluation of health research an asset
- Adaptability, flexibility, diplomacy, tact, and confidentiality
- Proficiency in word processing, database construction and management, financial modelling, etc.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and cooperatively
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task under tight deadlines
- French reading and writing skills, an asset
Please send your resume including salary expectations and cover letter, quoting “Director, Research Programs” in the subject line to HR@prostatecancer.ca. No phone calls please. We thank you for your interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.