Deadline February 7, 2013
Title: Epidemiologist Specialist
Program: Environmental & Occupational Health
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Epidemiologist Specialist
Department: Environmental & Occupational Health
Duration: Permanent full-time
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Job Code: 21PRS – Research Science
Salary: $80,434 - $105,334
Position Status: Open
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: January 3, 2013
Closing Date: February 7, 2013
- Provide expert specialized professional epidemiologic services in the area of Environmental and Occupational Health directed towards infectious and/or non-infectious diseases.
- Provide expert-level specialized epidemiologic support relating to Environmental and Occupational health in alignment with the strategic priorities of Public Health Ontario.
- Acts as a primary resource in Public Health Ontario for expert level specialized in environmental and occupational health, professional and subject matter epidemiologic information and guidance.
- Develops, leads, and coordinates environmental health tracking and surveillance initiatives within Public Health Ontario, assisted by internal and external resources.
- Procures institutional research funding as appropriate and collaborates in novel research in alignment with PHO’s strategic initiatives, including coordination and completion of grant applications.
- Acts as resource for providing internal and external skill development for epidemiologists in environmental and occupational health.
- Provide expert-level review of PHO epidemiology products and communications.
- Provides expert-level environmental and occupational health subject-matter expertise and resource support to PHO colleagues.
- Liaises as necessary with stakeholders and resources in various health sector, research and regulatory institutions, and builds strong working relationships between these and PHO.
- Presents findings, initiatives and relevant PHO activities at local, regional, national and international forums as appropriate.
- Liaises with government, public health, research and academic institutions to contribute to, and keep appraised of best practices in surveillance methodology, information and reporting tools.
- Provides expertise to support the programs and services, epidemiologic research, population health assessment and surveillance activities of PHO geared at generating scientific and technical knowledge for evidence based communication, decision making, planning and implementation of public health policies and programs.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of epidemiological principles, methods and techniques to develop, lead and coordinate epidemiologic research initiatives within Public Health Ontario, which may include expertise in exposure and environmental/occupational health risk factor tracking, surveillance, research, statistics, disease control and public health.
- Knowledge of and skills in developing, leading and coordinating grants based research projects.
- Knowledge of and skills in completing grant funding applications for the procurement of research funds.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines.
- Skills in influencing public health policy and practice at local, provincial and/or national level.
- Understanding of relevant regulations and regulatory trends in epidemiology, environmental and occupational health tracking and surveillance.
- Knowledge of PHO’s mandate, relevant legislation such as the HPPA and PHIPPA and the Ontario Public Health Standards.
- Education and Experience
- PhD. degree in epidemiology, community health or related field; or Masters in epidemiology, community health or related field AND professional certification/designation in an area of specialty.
- Minimum of five to seven years of experience in a combination of professional field and public health, including experience in the practice of epidemiology and with surveillance / tracking databases and systems related to environmental and occupational exposures, risk factors and outcomes.
- Experience as investigator on funded research initiatives and as author on peer-reviewed publications.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Please indicate in your cover letter how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.