Deadline October 5, 2012
Position Title: Knowledge Exchange Specialist
Department: Knowledge Services
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto
Bargaining Unit: AMAPCEO
Classification: 18PGS – General Scientific
Salary: $65,695 - $81,219 per annum
Posting Date: September 21, 2012
Closing Date: October 5, 2012
Public Health Ontario (“PHO”) is a Crown Corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links
public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians
To build organizational capacity for knowledge exchange within PHO and the public health units with the goal of positioning PHO as a leader in knowledge exchange.
- Works with interdisciplinary scientific programs, specifically the Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) team, to identify knowledge exchange gaps and opportunities and to assist subject matter experts across PHO to incorporate a knowledge exchange approach/framework to their work.
- Identifies services, tools and best practices that would be beneficial to internal and external stakeholders in carrying out their respective knowledge exchange roles and promotes the use of appropriate dissemination channels for knowledge exchange.
- Provides expertise and advice in knowledge exchange to internal and external stakeholders about knowledge exchange practices and provides education on how to develop knowledge products and incorporate knowledge exchange in all activities.
- Provides a knowledge exchange perspective on all policies and procedures related to PHO IPAC products and services and provides input to the development of products.
- Works across the IPAC team to identify and implement opportunities for the exchange of information on new project and product development with a view to building organizational capacity for knowledge exchange.
- Identifies opportunities for PHO alignment and collaboration on knowledge exchange that would strengthen the collective role of public health knowledge exchange practice (e.g. National
- Collaborating Centres, PHAC, universities involved in knowledge exchange, etc.)
- Facilitates the development of partnerships with external stakeholder organizations to develop a collaborative approach to respond to knowledge exchange gaps in public health practice and to lead teams and focus groups.
- Conducts environmental scans and needs assessment and assists with research to inform program development; and to promote the development of innovative knowledge exchange practice.
- Conducts evaluation to assess the impact of the knowledge exchange service.
- Provides support to the IPAC Community of Practice.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Masters’ degree in Public Health, Community Health or related discipline;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in knowledge exchange/knowledge transfer/knowledge translation role in a health or public health organization;
- Experience or expertise in the area of infection prevention and control would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of knowledge exchange methods and best practices to provide knowledge exchange expertise, advice and support to build PHO’s knowledge exchange capacity;
- Knowledge of key roles and stakeholders in knowledge exchange; particularly in public health to develop collaborative efforts and to keep abreast of development in the field;
- Knowledge of evaluation and research methodologies to conduct research and data collection in order to develop and /or support the development and evaluation of knowledge transfer/exchange
- products and services;
- Project management skills to lead a variety of knowledge exchange projects and teams within the IPAC team
If you are interested in applying to this position, please go to http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.