North Bay, Ontario
Deadline August 27, 2012
Position: Research and Policy Analyst – OPSEU – Planning and Evaluation
Hours of Work: Temporary – Full-Time - 35 Hours Per Week (1.00 FTE)
Effective: October 9, 2012 to October 4, 2013 (subject to change)
Location: Main Office – North Bay
Additional Info: Leave of Absence
Reporting to the Manager of Planning and Evaluation and as a member of a multidisciplinary team, the Research and Policy Analyst is responsible for: advancing research and public policy issues of central importance to the health unit’s vision; providing expertise in the area of health policy, health inequities and applied research; supporting programs and services to meet the requirements of the Ontario Public Health Standards, in particular the Foundational Standards; conducting research on priority populations and emerging health status trends; conducting spatial analysis using population and demographic data to map health- and health system-related indicators; and, developing and maintaining processes and standards relating to the health unit’s geographic information services.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Masters degree in a social science, health economics, or health area preferably with a focus in community or public health
- Minimum of 2 years experience in public health, including at least 1 year in policy and applied research
- Experience conducting policy development or policy change efforts with local, municipal, and community-based organizations
- Demonstrated leadership, knowledge and skills in population health approaches, health policy and applied research
- Ability to work with management to provide written policy briefs, policy options, and position papers
- Strong analytical skills and comprehensive knowledge of statistical methods, applied research, and current related best practices
- Knowledge of geographic information systems (GIS) software (e.g. ArcGIS)
- Familiarity with current public health issues and the Ontario Public Health Standards
- Advanced computer, internet and data management skills combined with experience using statistical, data management and Microsoft Office software packages
- Ability to work and communicate effectively in an interdisciplinary team, and to utilize positive problem solving strategies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, in particular report writing and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with the ability to respond to, and meet, competing priorities
- Ability to work flex hours (i.e. occasional evenings and weekends) when necessary
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to authorize the Health Unit to obtain and adjudicate a police record check at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies.
Hourly Rate: Minimum $34.94 to Maximum $39.33 (under review) (plus 4% vacation pay and 4% in lieu of public holidays)
Closing Date: August 27, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.
Please forward your letter of application, resume, proof of education required for this position to:
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant
Attention: Job #PH/2012/033
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
681 Commercial Street
North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer