Deadline May 7, 2012
Position No.: 2012-13
Position Title: Public Health Nutritionist - Temporary
21 hrs/week – .6 FTE
Duration: May 2012 until March 2013 (With possibility of extension, pending funding)
Location: Woolwich Office - Guelph
Division/Program: Community Health, Chronic Diseases and Injury Prevention
Program Manager: Manager (A), Chronic Diseases and Injury Prevention
Under the direction of the Manager, the Public Health Nutritionist plans, implements and evaluates nutrition promotion programs within the Board of Health policy and approved budget. This position will provide nutrition consultation services to the staff of the Agency and other health professionals and educators in the community and members of the general public.
- Provide guidance and nutrition expertise to community agencies, coalitions and task groups on behalf of the program at the local, regional and provincial level.
- Plan, implement and evaluate community-based programs and services.
- Act as a resource for key program/community stakeholders.
- Strengthens community action to encourage communities to speak out for changes in healthy public policy and environmental supports that will make the communities healthier place to live.
- Oversee implementation of funded projects including monitoring expenses and coordinating the involvement of other staff and community volunteers.
- Identify and establish relationships with key community stakeholders and champions.
- Assess, plan and create print resources on nutrition topics throughout the life cycle.
- Interpret and disseminate current scientific information and federal and provincial guidelines to public health staff and community partners, such as infant feeding guidelines, interpretation of Day Nurseries Act for child care centers, school nutrition guidelines.
- Apply evidence base decision-making and best practices to the planning, implementation and evaluation of program initiatives.
- Prepare and present in-service education to internal public health staff and external community partners/stakeholders on a variety of nutrition topics.
- Collaborate with provincial working group to advocate for health policy for adequate funding for access to food.
- Participate in the planning and development, campaign resources development, newsletters and list services.
- Assist in the development of healthy eating operational plan, logic models and work plans.
- Assist in researching and apply relevant nutrition information, theories and
- models to the planning, implementation and evaluation of program initiatives.
- Assist with researching and preparing grant proposals to support work plan priorities to enhance programming for programs. Seek out funding for special project as required.
- Prepare BOH reports on nutrition as requested.
- Participate in team and overall agency strategic planning.
Hours of Work:
Office hours: Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Flexible working hours are occasionally required
Salary: $35.29/hr to $41.50/hr
Position Effective: As soon as possible
- A baccalaureate degree in food and nutrition or equivalent program (from a recognized university) with emphasis in public health and community nutrition
- A Master’s degree (from a recognized university) with an emphasis in public health or community nutrition
- Registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in program planning, implementation and evaluation, health promotion strategies and models
- Excellent communication, organization and problem solving skills
- Computer application experience in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Able to interface with external community groups
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Maintain annual influenza immunization and adult immunization.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please forward a resume and cover letter to the attention of:
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health
474 Wellington Road 18, Suite 100, RR#1
Fergus, ON N1M 2W3
Fax (519) 846-0323
Deadline for application is Monday, May 7, 2012 at 4:30 p.m.
“WDG Public Health is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, and will be used to determine eligibility of employment”.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.