June 7-8, 2012
The annual conference of the Association of Ontario Health Centres has become one of Canada's premier primary health care events, focusing on innovations in team-based, community-oriented primary health care.
This conference is about driving change. And that change is the long-awaited transformation of primary health care through organizational and system-wide adoption of “people-centred care.”
The World Health Organization defines people-centred care as that “in which individuals, families and communities are served by, and are able to participate in, trusted health systems that respond to their needs in humane and holistic ways.”
Three themes will be explored through the lens of people-centred care:
- Planning for people-centred primary health care using a population needs-based approach coupled with health equity and community engagement frameworks
- Delivering people-centred primary health care: successful practices within the primary health care setting
- A people-centred approach that enables the client’s/patient’s transitions through health and social service systems
Outcomes resulting from this conference include:
- Primary health care planners and decision makers gain increased knowledge about how to make a major breakthrough in maximizing the promise of primary health care to improve health and well-being.
- Primary health care organizations already moving in the direction of people-centred care are inspired to continue by learning how they can make even further progress by improving attitudes, behaviours, systems and structures.
- Primary health care organizations which have not yet fully embraced people-centred care learn the benefits of adopting this approach and are motivated to begin.
- Those working in other sectors within health care and in related fields engage experts and learn best practices of innovation and alignment from Ontario and beyond.
- And, together, we come to a greater understanding of the central role primary health care can play in promoting and supporting seamless programs and services that support health and well-being for all.
Early-bird registration for AOHC's 2012 conference is open until
April 14, 2012 April 30, 2012.
The conference features an exciting line-up of keynote speakers, interactive workshops, local Community Health Centre tours and more. For more details and to register, visit http://aohc.org/conference