Deadline: December 20, 2010
Position: Community Engagement Coordinator (Full-time)
Organization: The Stop Community Food Centre http://www.thestop.org
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Deadline: December 20, 2010
The Stop began over 30 years ago as one of North America's first food banks, and has grown into a vibrant community centre, using food as a gateway to addressing many issues, including poverty, the environment, social isolation, and health in one of Toronto's lowest-income neighbourhoods. The Stop's mission is to increase access to healthy food in a manner that maintains dignity, builds community and challenges inequality. We are looking for a optimistic, realistic, emphathetic, committed, pragmatic, creative community mobilizer to be a part of The Stop's Community Action team. The CE Coordinator will work to involve and support community members in a range of short- and long-term initiatives that aim to impact the systemic roots of poverty and food insecurity in our community.
The CE Coordinator works with others in the Community Action team to recruit participants for The Stop's Community Action initiatives---Bread and Bricks Social Justice Group, Community Action Training and Community Advocacy. S/he will help to organize our social justice training series, facilitate and support monthly meetings, and strategically support community-led advocacy initiatives. The CE coordinator will support community members to speak out on social justice issues in the community and will take the lead on liaising with other social justice initiatives in the city.
- Three years project coordination experience working in a community or social services organization
- Demonstrated commitment to working on social justice issues and challenging inequality
- Post-secondary degree in a related area
- Experience working with and people who experience poverty, discrimination or marginalzation
- Skilled in group facilitation and conflict resolution
- Knowledge of issues related to poverty and food security
- Experience writing funding proposals, reports and in program evaluation
- Knowledge of social service sector and social justice initiatives in Toronto
- Knowledge of Davenport West and ability to speak a second language are assets
Salary: $20.81 per hour
Regular hours: 37.5 hrs/week (reduced work time may be negotiable)
Start date: January 2011
Please email a cover letter and resume by December 20 to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to
The Stop, P.O. Box 69, Station E, Toronto, M6H 4E1. Please do not fax. Please note in the email subject line or on the envelope that it is "Re: Community Engagement Coordinator Position".
The Stop is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. We regret that only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]