Deadline January 28, 2010
Contract Position to June 30th 2010 - with possibility of extension
Across Boundaries, is an ethnoracial mental health center located in and serving the residents of Toronto, and has a proud track record of providing equitable, inclusive and holistic mental health and addiction services to racialized communities within an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework.
Across Boundaries and Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) as sponsoring agencieshave received funding in partnership with Health Equity Council, Access Alliance and Colour & Poverty from the Public Health Agency of Canada for a project entitled “Taking Action to Reduce Health Inequalities”. This project aims to:
a) Build effective, sustainable mental health resilience and community capacity amongst racialized youth and their families.
b) Work towards the reduction of structural barriers that result in mental health disparities.
c) Identify innovative approaches and interventions that can enhance youth’s access to services.
d) Develop equitable long-term partnerships among different sectors to sustain the intervention.
We are looking for a Project Manager to oversee the implementation of this project.
The Project Manager will report directly to the Executive Director at Across Boundaries and willwork collaboratively with the committee overseeing the project. The Project Manager will be responsible for the effective coordination and implementation of all aspects of the project including preparation of reports to the funder, supervision of unionized staff, and be a member of the management team. The successful candidate should be able to provide overall strategic input to the project and recommendations to the Project Committee. The job will require flexible hours, with some weekend work and travel within Ontario. This is an excluded confidential position.
Experience and Skills
- 3 years or more project management experience in a community based setting
- Experience of racism/oppression including a critical understanding and analysis of the impact of racism/oppression on health and mental health of youth and families
- Knowledge and understanding of the mental health field
- Supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized workplace
- Experience in community capacity building and ability to plan tasks, manage budgets and implement them
- Ability to anticipate and identify challenges and opportunities and provide advice on project progression
- Good knowledge of Microsoft office, the internet/e-mail etc.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Able to multitask with various projects and stakeholders
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team including diverse cultures, identities, with expertise and experiences in youth cultures
- Second language an asset
Duties, Responsibilities and Related Tasks
- Assist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the programs and services
- Oversee day-to-day operations of assigned project(s)
- Play an active role in recruiting staff/consultants/youth participants
- Provide regular reports to the committee to reflect goals and timelines
- Supervise staff and participants hired for the project
- Provide input for project planning at the committee level
- Promote the project, its mandate and activities to the greater community.
- Represent the project on external committees where appropriate
- Write proposals/reports to funder etc.
- Comply with agency policies, standards, guidelines and procedures
- Work in cooperation with management and other staff members in the provision of efficient and coordinated services
- Other duties as assigned
Deadline: January 28th 2010 at 5:00 p.m.
Compensation Type: Salary - $32.96 per hour plus benefits
Send application to:
Across Boundaries: An Ethnoracial Mental Health Centre
51 Clarkson Ave.
Toronto, Ontario M6E 2T5
Email: [email protected]
Fax No: 416-787-0812
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.