A new CIHR Strategic Training Program in Health Research
The ACHIEVE Research Partnership: Action for Health Equity Interventions
Deadline: June 15, 2009 (First application review).
Note: In consideration of the short timeline associated with this start-up year of funding, late applications will be accepted and reviewed until July 15, 2009 or until all positions are filled.
In September 2009, the Centre for Research on Inner City Health (http://www.crich.ca) at St. Michaels Hospital (A University of Toronto teaching hospital) will launch a new post-doctoral training program focused on interventions research and partner-engaged research to reduce inner city health disparities. 4-6 Fellows will be admitted annually.
Post-Doctoral Fellowships Information
Eligibility Requirement: PhD and/or MD completion. For MDs applicants, additional completion of Masters level (or PhD) degreei s preferred, to ensure the candidate has advanced research skills. However, ACHIEVE also aims to build capacity related to interventions research for marginalized populations. In the absence of advanced research training among MD applicants, practical experience with marginalized populations will be strongly considered.
Term: September, 2009 - August 2011
Stipend: up to $50,000 per year, for two years
Location: Based at Centre for Research on Inner City Health (Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michaels Hospital), and Agency Partner Locations
Fellows are required to complete all training program components within the two years. (See curriculum outline below).
The Training Program must be notified of all other awards that are held or obtained during the fellowship period. Top-ups will be allowed up to the maximum allowed by CIHR.
How to Apply
1. Cover Letter
- Describe your research interests and professionals goals & specifically how these would be advanced through participation in the ACHIEVE Research Partnership and engagement in the ACHIEVE curriculum;
- Describe your research and/or practical experience related to the needs of marginalized populations and/or urban health inequities;
- Proposed ACHIEVE Mentor -- whom you wish to work with, and why. (Faculty list is below)
- Proposed linkages to Agency Partner(s) (optional)
- At least three written references. One letter should be written by the thesis supervisor or current research mentor/supervisor. It is encouraged that one letter of reference should be written by a representative of a community-based agency and/or policy-maker organization. Letters of reference should speak about the suitability of the applicant for this program considering the focus on interventions research, community and partner engagement, methodological innovations, and research linked to practical change.
3. Two (2) writing samples
4. Transcripts (including undergraduate work) -- copies acceptable.
Mailing Address:Courier Address:
CIHR ACHIEVE Research Partnership
c/o Brigette WilliamsCenter for Research on Inner City Health
Center for Research on Inner City Health
70 Richmond Street East, 4th Floor
St. Michaels Hospital
Toronto, ON M5C 1N8
30 Bond Street
Tel: 416-864-6060 x2528
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8
Email: [email protected]
About the Program
Note: Funding to launch the ACHIEVE Research Partnership was announced in April 2009.
Our website will not be available until Summer 2009. For more information about the program, please read the document attached. For more information contact Kelly Murphy at