Community Kitchen Facilitator, SKETCH
SKETCH Working Arts for Street-Involved and Homeless Youth offers arts based programming to street-involved and homeless youth aged 16-29, and serves high-quality, nutritionally-complete meals to participants as part of our programs. We are seeking qualified applicants for the position of Community Kitchen Facilitator.
- Facilitate collaborative meal preparation with youth leaders, participants and volunteers, every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Coordinate youth leaders in menu planning, meal preparation and kitchen set up. Facilitate youth leadership and provide guidance on culinary techniques, self-care, leadership, community engagement, and food security issues.
- Contribute to maintaining an inspiring and welcoming environment. Work to ensure a safe, inclusive space; de-escalate situations as they arise and mediate conflict when necessary. Act as a model for good community engagement.
- Facilitate connections with SKETCH's community garden programming.
- Receive and sort donated foods, and purchase all ingredients.
- Maintain the kitchen, including organization, cleaning, and caring for equipment.
- Experience working in a Community Kitchen, and commitment to the Community Kitchen philosophy.
- A strong understanding of community development practices.
- Experience leading a team in a collaborative environment.
- Experience cooking a variety of healthy meat and vegan meals for large groups, on a budget, in a fast-paced environment.
- In-depth knowledge of food security issues.
- Knowledge of and expertise in proper food handling, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Experience working with at-risk youth, and a working knowledge of issues such as poverty, homelessness, anger cycles, and crisis intervention.
- Excellent communication skills. Effective conflict resolution and crisis mediation skills. Possessing patience, a sense of humour and flexibility.
This is a part-time position for 16 hours per week at the rate of $18/hour. This is a 4-month contract, starting in September, with the possibility of renewal.
SKETCH is an equal opportunity employer and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please send a CV and cover letter by August 15, 2008 to:
Sonya Reynolds, Program Administrator
SKETCH Working Arts for Street-Involved and Homeless Youth
Fax: (416) 516-6286
No Phone Calls Please