The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit requires a Youth Advisor Temporary Full-time
The Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit has a challenging opportunity available for a Youth Advisor. You will work with youth Peer Leaders, volunteers, and community agencies in a variety of initiatives with the aim of denormalizing tobacco use and reducing tobacco consumption in Haldimand and Norfolk. You will be responsible for ensuring that the local youth initiatives are carried out in accordance with the directives of the Ontario Tobacco Strategy (OTS).
We need your diverse skills to:
- Work with Peer Leaders to plan, develop and implement tobacco prevention programming for youth throughout Norfolk and Haldimand Counties.
- Develop and foster relationships with community partners such as: educators, law enforcement, and other youth oriented community agencies.
- Assist with the recruitment of Peer Leaders and volunteers.
- Ensure the development of an annual work plan in cooperation with the Peer Leaders.
- Facilitate the functioning of the Youth Action Alliance including regular meetings with the Peer Leaders.
- Mentor and train the Peer Leaders to deliver their tobacco control messages to the relevant target groups.
- Support the Peer Leaders as they participate in area, regional or provincial initiatives.
- Participate in training events and professional development activities.
- Undergraduate level in Child or Youth Studies, Recreation, Health Sciences or related field.
- Over 6 months, up to and including 1 year related experience.
- Program, evaluation and facilitation experience with teenagers preferably in a community-based setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Computer skills are an asset
- Possess a valid Class "G" Drivers Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
The Corporation of Norfolk County as the administrator of Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. Qualified candidates are invited to submit detailed resumes by 4:30 p.m. on August 18, 2008 to:
K.A. Webb, General Manager
Human Resources & Staff Development Dept.
21 Lynnwood Ave.
Simcoe, ON N3Y 2V7
firstname.lastname@example.org (MS Word® document or text file please)
All applications will be held in strict confidence. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for employment assessment purposes only.