The Region of Peel, comprised of Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon, is a dynamic blend of rural/urban, industrial and residential areas. We are one of Ontario's fastest growing municipalities, delivering a wide range of municipal services to over 1,000,000 residents. Peel Region is the first government in Canada to achieve the National Quality Institute's prestigious Canada Awards for Excellence.
If you are a forward-thinking individual striving for excellence and seeking new challenges with an award-winning and progressive organization that values a supportive and respectful environment, teamwork, effective communication, integrity and quality service, consider this attractive career opportunity within the Environmental Health division in the Peel Health department.
Analyst, Environmental Reseach & Policy (Public Health) File #08-320
Reporting to the Manager, Environmental Health, you will provide, research, day to day policy support and strategic assistance to the Environmental Health Division and the Medical Officer of Health on environmental health issues. You will research environmental health hazards and other environmental issues, including evaluating epidemiological and toxicological studies. You will conduct health risk assessments, and facilitate risk management strategies involving community, government and non-government stakeholders. Other responsibilities include designing and conducting environmental health research studies, at times involving external contract administration, developing policy positions on various environmental issues, and monitoring and evaluating the local implications of provincial and federal health policy decisions. You will also liaise with divisions within Public Health, the community, environmental groups, government officials and staff of area municipal departments.
If you possess:
- a Masters degree in a relevant discipline combined with a minimum of three years related experience
- broad knowledge of environmental public health issues and environmental risk assessment and management
- an ability to synthesize, evaluate and integrate health/epidemiological information from multiple sources and provide recommendations for policy
- excellent analytical and research skills
- strong administrative and consultative abilities
- well developed communication and report writing skills
- superior organizational skills coupled with the ability to work effectively across organizational boundaries
- ability to work in a self-directed manner within a collaborative team environment
- exceptional customer service orientation to interact with internal and external clients
- strong presentation skills
- computer proficient in Microsoft Office, we would like to hear from you.
There is more to a career at Peel; we also offer
- a salary range from $64,877 - $81,084
- a comprehensive benefits package
- tuition assistance
- training and development
- advancement opportunities
- a pension plan (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System-OMERS)
- a healthy workplace
- a family orientated environment and
- a voice in the development of corporate initiatives and much more!
To pursue this challenging opportunity, please apply online by going to http://www.peelregion.ca/jobs. Please select Current Job Listings and Analyst, Environmental Research & Policy (File # 08-320).
The position is located in Brampton and it closes on June 15, 2008.
The Region of Peel, an equal opportunity employer, appreciates all responses; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.