1774 Queen St East, Toronto ON
The Mennonite New Life Centre is a vibrant multi-service community centre for newcomers to Canada. The Centre provides settlement services, language instruction and child-minding, art therapy, anger management and supportive counseling, translation and interpretation services. Following upon an organizational visioning process the New Life Centre is seeking to develop new programming in the areas of employment supports and community organizing.
The Community Worker will participate in the development of new program work, particularly two workshop series on issues related to employment and civic participation. The Community Worker will report to the Administrative Assistant and the Executive Director.
This position is a summer student position, beginning in June and continuing through the end of August. Applicants must be students between the age of 15-30, who have studied during the past calendar year and will be returning to school in September.
- Participate in delivery of settlement services.
- Escort and interpret for clients at medical and/or social services appointments.
- Organize group workshops on employment themes such as: career planning (interests, skills and opportunities), job search skills (resumes, cover letters, interviews), employment rights, health and safety at work, and injured workers. Develop evaluation questionnaire for workshop series.
- Contact resource persons to present on topics such as: culture shock and the challenge of belonging, civic participation and gender roles, volunteerism and the community, getting involved in the school system, participating on a Board of Directors, starting your own community association, and participation in the political system. Develop evaluation questionnaire for workshop series.
- Client outreach. Marketing of workshop series and other services.
- Develop a newcomer advocacy committee to identify policy issues of concern and work on strategies for response.
- Write advocacy letters and web articles.
- Some reception, clerical and administrative work.
- Student between the ages of 15-30
- Has studied during the past calendar year and will return to school in September.
- At least one year of post secondary education in a field related to Community Work
- Understanding of settlement issues and experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Second language an asset
All applications welcome. Newcomers encouraged to apply. Please note that only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Please send resume and cover letter by June 8 to Tanya Chute Molina, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the New Life Centre, visit http://www.mnlct.org.