The Women's Support Network of York Region is a community-based, grassroots, feminist, anti-oppressive/anti-racist organization providing 24-hour telephone support and free individual counselling to women who have survived sexual violence. Please visit our website for a thorough description of the services we offer http://www.womenssupportnetwork.ca. We are currently looking for a full-time Counsellor for the duration of a one-year maternity leave.
This contract position will be 35 hours per week, for the period of November 29, 2004, to November 18, 2005. This position requires an individual with a valid driver's license and ongoing access to a reliable vehicle. Applicants must have a strong feminist and anti-oppression/anti-racist analysis and an extensive knowledge of sexual violence issues.
Full-time, one-year Maternity Leave Contract
* Provide individual crisis, brief and short-term counselling from a feminist, anti-oppression/anti-racist framework
* Group/Workshop development and facilitation
* Provide advocacy, accompaniment, and referrals as required
* Refer women to appropriate community agencies
* Administrative duties including file statistics and management, letters of support, group preparation
* Minimum of three years of individual counselling experience with a focus on sexual violence
* Work from a feminist, anti-racist, and anti-oppression framework
* Experience in group facilitation
* Relevant experience working with women from diverse communities
* Proven abilities in program planning and development
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
* Strong organizational skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
* The ability to work with minimum supervision
* Ability to speak multiple languages is an asset
Computer skills, including Microsoft Office, email and Internet skills
In keeping with our ongoing commitment to represent the diversity of our community, we strongly encourage First Nations women, women of colour, immigrant women, women with disabilities, bisexual women, and lesbians to apply.
Please submit a detailed resume and covering letter outlining your experiences, counselling approach, and analysis of sexual violence and anti-oppression/anti-racism.
Please submit applications via fax at (905) 895-6542, by mail or e-mail, directed to the attention of the Hiring Committee, by Friday October 22, 2004:
Women's Support Network of York Region
1110 Stellar Drive, Unit 109
Newmarket, ON L3Y 7B7
firstname.lastname@example.org (in MS Word format)
No phone calls please.
We appreciate your in interest in the Women's Support Network of York Region, however please note, that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.