Community Health Worker, East End Community Health Centre
East End Community Health Centre, a non-profit, multi-service centre providing health, social and community outreach services with an emphasis on health promotion, requires a
Community Health Worker.
This part-time position involves working with various community partners on community health issues. The current focus of the position is on East End Community Health Centre's strategic priority of educating for safe and healthy communities.
The Community Health Worker is responsible for implementing an anti-bullying program in local schools, based on a program already implemented in one school. This involves working with teachers, parents and children and includes an analysis of the bullying situation in the school, school policy development, teacher training, an anti-bullying curriculum, social skills programs for children and other activities. In addition, the Community Health Worker will develop and implement a two-day per week after-school program for children living in an apartment building for women and children who have experienced violence. This program involves working with staff from the apartment building and a student.
View the full posting, including qualifications and submission guidelines, at http://www.ohpe.ca/ebulletin/Job.cfm?ID=1029&ROWNUMBER=1&TIME=CURRENT.
We are looking for an individual who has:
* An understanding of the root causes of violence and its connection with other forms of oppression
* Experience developing, delivering and evaluating programs using a community-development approach
* Extensive experience in running group programs for adults and for children, particularly children who are challenging
* The ability to negotiate with community partners in working towards a common goal
* Creativity and innovative ideas in thinking through project directions
* A university degree in a relevant field. (e.g., social work, health, social sciences)
The following are assets:
* Experience working in community-school partnership
* Experience in using the arts to work with children
* A knowledge of peer education approaches
Hours: three days per week
Salary: $33,000-$42,000 pro-rated, plus benefits
Application Deadline: July 18, 2003
Please submit resume to
Barbara Neuwelt, Program Co-ordinator,
bneuwelt-at-eastendchc.on.ca [Note: this address has been altered to protect it from spam harvesters. To use the address, replace "-at-" with "@"]
Our office is moving, so if you prefer to mail or fax us do so after July 8 at
East End Community Health Centre
1619 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4L 1G4
Fax: (416) 778-5810