Deadline March 18, 2018
The Hospital for Sick Children is a leading tertiary pediatric centre providing medical and mental health care to the most complex children and youth and their families. A dynamic clinical, education and research environment, SickKids is committed to excellence in integrated inter-professional care. As part of the newly established Brain and Mental Health Program at SickKids, the Director of Collaborative Professional Practice will be responsible for the Departments of Social Work and Psychology and assume a leadership role within an ambitious agenda to improve access to high quality, evidence based and patient centred services at SickKids.
The Director of Collaborative Professional Practice provides senior level leadership, strategic advice and operational direction and management of the Professions of Psychology and Social Work, deployed across all medical and mental health specialty programs at SickKids. The Director reports to and works collaboratively with the Executive Director of Brain and Mental Health, the Chiefs of Services and Clinical Program Directors to evaluate current and future resource models to ensure patient care needs are met across hospital programs.
The Director's primary accountabilities are: to ensure excellence in professional practice, service and standards across the hospital; to manage key internal and external stakeholder relationships; to manage professional practice and risk; to direct and support, in collaboration with the relevant partnering universities, the academic programs of both social work and psychology trainees; to monitor the deployment and productivity of professionals within the department; to support evaluation and research integration; and, to ensure the growth and success of inter-professional and collaborative practice. The director has responsibility for the overall management of the professions including financial, quality and practice performance, as well as professional development. The Director reports to the Executive Director of the Brain and Mental Health Program and provides strategic and operational leadership.
Establish Department vision, internal structure, performance expectations, annual operational plan and execution strategy
- Lead the operational planning of the department to support the goals, objectives and quality improvement initiatives for the Department in keeping with the mission, goals, strategic plan, policies and procedures of the hospital. Integrates clinical data, evidence and best practices, as well as innovative models of care and administration in the development of service models for the hospital.
- Participate in hospital committees and subcommittees providing professional practice perspectives within strategic and clinical planning, major projects and committees.
- Participate in sector wide committees with relevant partners (e.g. Universities, Mental Health etc.).
Professional Standards, Credentialing and Risk
- Establish, monitor, consult and ensures compliance with professional standards.
- Interpret, implement and ensures compliance with legislated changes relevant to the profession.
- Develop, manage, monitor and evaluates profession-specific standards, productivity, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain a framework for annual credentialing.
- Manage all risk related issues pertaining to social work and psychology practices.
People Management and Development
- In collaboration with HR, responsible for human resource processes inclusive of: recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes for all professional staff as well as annual performance reviews and performance management.
- Manage the professional practice, roles, responsibilities and performance standards of the members of the discipline.
- Lead all inter-professional communication and engagement processes (e.g. establish staff meetings, committees etc.).
Education and Research
- Lead the Department's internship and trainee programs. Act as a liaison with the University of Toronto, York University and other graduate facilities in psychology with regard to training opportunities at the Hospital for Sick Children.
- Lead and support the professional development/education program for psychology and social work.
- Supports the professional participation in clinical research projects across the Hospital.
- Ensures the advancement of the profession's contribution to patient care through evidence-based practice.
Family Supports through Philanthropy
- Manage the Patient Amenities Fund and the Family Navigation Service - Foundation supported clinical services within Social Work.
Quality and Process Improvement
- Lead and establish the annual quality improvement plan, data gathering mechanisms and establish, manage performance indicators and targets.
- Work collaboratively with Chiefs and clinical program directors to ensure social work and psychological activities are integrated into inpatient and outpatient process improvement plans and objectives.
Financial and Productivity Management
- Responsible for establishing departmental budgets, reviewing and monitoring financial performance.
- Responsible for implementing, monitoring strategies to address variance to plan and increase efficiencies; optimize future opportunities to improve models of care.
- Accountable for payroll administration.
- Responsible for monitoring of key performance metrics (e.g. caseloads, visits, case flow) for the disciplines and identifies opportunities for innovation and efficiencies.
- Inform and participate in hospital infrastructure projects to ensure patient care needs are integrated into future state planning for social work and psychology.
- Masters of Social Work or PhD in Psychology. Member in good standing of relevant college.
- Additional management training and education considered an asset.
- 5 years of clinical and progressive leadership experience.
- This role requires superior skills in leading, planning, relationship management and administration to ensure the optimal performance of the social work and psychology disciplines.
- Excellent change management and conflict resolution/mediation skills to ensure the successful operations of the portfolio.
- The role must have broad understanding of the various specialty areas of the hospital, as well as a broad knowledge of internal and external community resources that are relevant in a hospital environment.
- Excellent communication and change management skills in the context of a complex hospital environment in order to work effectively and collaboratively with physicians, families, and members of the multidisciplinary team, Human Resources team, Finance, Decision Support, Centre for Nursing, Quality & Risk Management, and Facilities.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Strong skills in integrative thinking, change management and employee engagement.
- Ability to organize and prioritize own work and that of others.
- Collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Contributes to the professional and the organizational vision.
- Demonstrates critical thinking, data management and measurement informed problem solving skills.
- Commitment to inter-professional practice and life-long learning.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced health care environment.
Employment Type: Fulltime, Permanent.
Our Commitment to Diversity
SickKids is strongly committed to diversity within its community and welcomes applications from visible minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups and others who may contribute to diversity within our organization.
SickKids is also committed to providing services in both official languages and our preference is to hire employees who are fluent in both English and French whenever possible.
Thank you for your interest in joining SickKids. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. In accordance with our Hospital policy, employment at SickKids is conditional upon the Hospital's receipt of all necessary documentation.
How to Apply
Deadline to Apply: 2018-03-18
Tip: Combine your cover letter and resume into ONE document as you cannot upload multiple documents as part of your application.
If you are still experiencing technical difficulties please email [email protected] to send us a short description of the issues you are experiencing. Please note that we will not accept resumes sent to this inbox but we are happy to respond to requests for technical assistance.