Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
No deadline open
Open to the Public
Department of Health and Wellness
Full-Time Temporary Position
(Commencing immediately until September 2018 with the possibility of extension)
The purpose of this position is to promote the health of all Islanders by 1) facilitating community development and 2) fostering healthy public policy to support healthy environments and reduce health inequities. This position engages communities, all levels of government, NGOs and the private sector in adopting an evidence-based approach to upstream determinants of health. Duties include:
- Facilitate community mobilization and build community capacity around shared health priorities;
- Identify and work collaboratively with partners across sectors to strengthen local community capacities and to enhance the impact and sustainability of health promotion action;
- Develop, implement, monitor and advocate for policies to improve health and reduce health inequities;
- Research, interpret and analyze complex information to determine policy action with most potential to address prevalent health conditions and identify emerging health issues and trends;
- Partner with communities and stakeholders to conduct a situational assessment to assess needs, strengths and opportunities in the context of health determinants and health equity;
- Develop a plan to achieve measureable health promotion goals and objectives based on situational assessment findings;
- Apply health promotion principles, theory and research to inform action and plan, implement, monitor and evaluate health promotion action;
- Synthesize information into a variety of products to communicate health promotion information effectively with diverse audiences;
- Interact effectively with diverse individuals, groups and communities to promote health and reduce health inequities;
- Encouraging key stakeholders to secure buy-in and to assert the need to consider health within various contexts and sectors;
- Provide leadership to build health promotion capacity and performance in all settings, and within all levels of government;
- Interpret relevant legislation, policies and procedures using a health promotion lens;
- Act as a lead for projects and assignments and as a key representative for programs, projects, services, committees/working groups;
- Other duties as required.
- Master's Degree in Health Promotion or a related health field with health promotion courses;
- Extensive experience in public health and health promotion or related fields of health/wellness and community development;
- Knowledge and experience in public policy research and development, particularly in health policy;
- Demonstrated equivalencies will be considered.
- Strong knowledge in research methods and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary setting with a strong focus on citizen/community and stakeholder engagement;
- Excellent interpersonal and motivating skills with demonstrated accountability and responsibility, negotiation and conflict management, judgement and decision making skills;
- Strong facilitation, project management, partnership /collaboration, planning, problem-solving, and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Competence in using computer software programs: Microsoft Office, Novell, Web platforms, etc.;
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment;
- A valid PEI driver's license and a reliable motor vehicle and the ability to work flexible hours- evenings and weekends;
- French will be considered an asset.
Note: Please ensure the application clearly demonstrates how you meet the noted qualifications as applicants will be screened based on the information provided. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salary Range: $28.93 - $36.16 (Level 17)
Bi-weekly Hours: 75.0 hours bi-weekly / evenings and weekends as required
Posting ID#: 131396-1117HWTO
Closing Date: On going recruitment
Please return forms to PEI Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 2000, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, C1A 7N8. Applications may be sent by fax to (902) 368-4383.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OF THE APPLICATION, BY TELEPHONE OR IN PERSON PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE.
Please ensure that the appropriate Posting ID number is stated on all application forms.
You can apply online or obtain an application form by visiting our web site at http://www.gov.pe.ca/jobs. Forms may also be obtained by contacting any PEI Government office, ACCESS PEI Centre, Regional Services Centre, or by telephone (902) 368-4080.