Deadline February 19, 2018
Status: Part Time – up to 21 hrs per week
Reports To: Manager, Family Support
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Manager of Family Support, the Family Support Coordinator will be responsible for providing information and education through support group facilitation and one on one dementia specific supportive consultation to Francophones living with
Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia, their care partners and families throughout Durham Region. The role of Family Support Coordinator will also fulfill all expectations outlined in agency
Policies and Procedures.
Service Delivery Responsibilities:
- Caregiver Support Group Facilitation; ensuring a positive, safe and respected community environment to build on and promote an opportunity for Family Caregivers to meet together and exchange ideas in a supported environment.
- Early Stage Support Group Facilitation; providing an opportunity for persons with early stage Alzheimer’s Disease or related dementia to learn more about the disease, symptoms and symptom management
- Intake Support; as first responder to self-directed calls from the francophone community; gathering relevant information needed to assess and help identify support services needed for Family Caregivers and Persons With Dementia, providing information and referral as appropiate and establishing follow up support in the form of home, office consultation or support group involvement as required
- Manage delegated First Link referrals sent by First Link referral partners by logging, organizing and entering First Link client information into a case management database, making initial phone contact and follow up support as required by individual(s) referred.
- Maintain case documentation and service delivery statistical data entry in accordance with direct service policy requirements.
- Active participation in agency related meetings, providing follow up action and involvement as designated, working collaboratively with colleagues in a positive team centered approach
- Represent the Society on community committees as assigned
- Participation and involvement in key agency annual fundraising events as required
- Other duties as assigned related to the family support, public education and awareness activities
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in health, social work, or social services
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both French and English (language competency testing will be conducted)
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with persons with dementia and their care partners and older adults.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Alzheimer’s Disease and other related dementias
- Specific training in dementia studies is considered an asset
- Demonstrated experience in group facilitation & presentations
- Experience working in a non-profit organization preferred
- Excellent organization, planning and time management skills
- Demonstrated experience in working as part of a team
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends as required by the demands of the Agency
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License with daily access to a vehicle
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Windows and Microsoft Office
- Criminal Record Check including vulnerable sector search required
- Must have insured vehicle and be able to travel throughout Durham Region
- No special physical demands are required beyond the performance of general office duties
Please submit your application to [email protected] quoting Bilingual Family Support in the subject title no later than February 19, 2018.
Salary range expectations must be included in your cover letter.
No phone calls please. We thank you for your interest in applying to the Alzheimer Society of Durham Region; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Alzheimer Society welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.