Deadline January 15, 2018
Posting Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Closing Date: Monday, January 15, 2018
Anticipatory Posting – requesting expressions of interest*
The position funding has not yet been finalized. KCHC is posting the requirements for this potential position in request for early expressions of interest. KCHC is not bound legally to offer these contracts if funding should change.
Title: Nurse Practitioner*
Reports to: Manager, SHC
Position Type*: Full Time Contract with possible renewal
Start Date: February 2018
Salary: $89,089 - $103,321
The Nurse Practitioner is a member of an integrated health care team that provides service to marginalized communities, emphasizing holistic care, health promotion and disease prevention. They diagnose and manage common disorders and diseases seen in primary health care, in collaboration with the client and the physician. The Nurse Practitioner works as an integral part of a multi-disciplinary harm reduction team that addresses issues in the community such as addiction, mental health and poverty. They are responsible and accountable for their practice.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
Key Responsibilities / Detailed Responsibilities
- Works within the scope of practice set for a Nurse Practitioner to provide primary care to clients.
- Takes into account environmental, social, psychological and medical risk factors (social determinants of health) in a manner that can be understood by clients and is appropriate to their family situation.
- Works with and refers to other members of the care team or other health care professionals to ensure clients receive comprehensive, competent and appropriate health care.
- Acts as a health advocate for clients and uses health care resources effectively.
- Assesses clients for routine health and illness care, prescribes treatment, prescribes medications, orders diagnostic tests, and promotes chronic disease self-management principles as appropriate.
- Remains accessible to clients during the hours of service scheduled by KCHC, at on and off-site locations and provides home visits as required.
- Counsels and educates individuals on health and lifestyle issues and evaluates the effectiveness of education and counseling approaches and strategies.
Health Promotion & Outreach
- Coordinates and conducts outreach visits to local shelters and housing projects to provide health support to homeless and hard to house clients.
- Participates in a mobile supervised consumption team, attending locations as needed, ensuring a safe, effective, non-judgmental environment. (This initiative is under development as of Dec 2017 but not yet in place.)
- Participates in developing, facilitating and evaluating mental and physical health promotion programs.
- Identifies areas where development of protocols and procedures are needed to improve client services or to promote more effective staff functioning.
- Maintains accurate records of clients' visits and encounters, including phone encounters, using the charting and recording formats established by Kingston Community Health Centres.
- Assists other nursing staff in administrative and clinical duties as required.
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Registration as Registered Nurse in the Extended Class, Ontario College of Nurses.
- Three to five years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital or public health settings an asset; experience in a primary care setting an asset
- Experience supporting marginalized clients with addictions, mental health, and complex psycho-social issues preferred
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of management of clients with addictions and mental health diagnosis, including opioid substitution therapies
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with ability to effectively engage marginalized clients, and a commitment to being a “team player.”
- Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis and ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Proficiency in the use of computers and relevant software applications (Microsoft Office), including Electronic Medical Record software (Nightingale on Demand preferred)
- Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
- Position Competencies: Attention to Detail, Communication, Knowledge/Professional/Technical Expertise, Negotiation, Problem Solving, Teamwork, Time Management
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- This position may require regular evening work, approximately once a week, and occasional work on weekends.
- French or Indigenous verbal language skills are an asset
Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
Email to [email protected] citing reference “SHNP-2017” in the subject line.
Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 pm, Monday, January 15, 2018.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4