Deadline September 26, 2017
Location: Office of the Commissioner & Medical Officer of Health
Note: Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
This position provides epidemiologic expertise through the identification of significant health issues and patterns in the community, development and review of performance indicators, analysis of health databases, implementation of program evaluations and integration of surveillance and evaluation findings to support evidence-informed program planning and decision making in public health.
The successful candidate will possess a Masters degree with a focus in Epidemiology, Evaluation or a similar discipline combined with at least three (3) years’ experience working in a community-based epidemiology and/or evaluation role, preferably within a local public health unit. The candidate should have advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of communicable and non-communicable disease epidemiology, performance measurement, and program planning and evaluation. Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills, a strong attention to detail as well as the ability to prioritize and work independently with minimal supervision are required. The successful candidate will possess expert knowledge in MS Office (specifically Excel, Publisher, and Power Point) and training in statistical software packages (e.g. SPSS, Stata). Knowledge and experience extracting and analyzing data from provincial and local public health databases is preferred. Extensive knowledge of the health system including a network of contacts with key individuals and agencies is an asset. The candidate must possess strong supervisory skills to oversee analysts in carrying out epidemiology and evaluation projects, along with exceptional critical thinking and analysis skills. Strong skills in political acuity, diplomacy and tact are required to interact and consult with internal and external stakeholders. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required for effective knowledge translation. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel in and out of the Halton Region is required. The incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment. Availability outside regular office hours to assist with surveillance, outbreaks, and/or manage emergency situations in the community when they occur is also required.
- Develop systems for ongoing monitoring and reporting of performance measures.
- Work closely with program staff to determine the need for, design and implementation of program evaluations.
- Support public health programs in analyzing and interpreting health assessment and surveillance data, program level data, and evaluation results in order to facilitate evidence informed decision making.
- Collaborate with other public health units, community partners (e.g. LHINs), and provincial groups on epidemiology, planning and evaluation.
- Contribute to program reviews and support program planning for teams.
- Develop an annual work plan, track projects/consults, provide on-going updates to the Manager & Senior Epidemiologist, mitigate risks, manage expectations, and ensure client satisfaction.
- Supervise and mentor analysts and/or epidemiology graduate students.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Please apply online: http://www.halton.ca/jobs
Posted: September 5, 2017
Posting Expires:September 26, 2017
Posting #: H-318-17
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resource Services at 905-825-6000 ext. 7700 if you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings