Deadline August 21, 2017
External Posting: CHRPN -2017
Posting Date: Tuesday, August 8, 2017
Closing Date: Monday, August 21, 2017
Title: Community Health Nurse (Registered Practical Nurse)*
Reports to: Manager, Napanee Area Community Health Centre
Location: Napanee Area Community Health Centre and Greater Napanee Area
Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Start Date: September 2017
Annual Salary: $42,449 - $48,476
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, the Community Health Nurse supports chronic disease prevention and management activities and programs, and promotes healthy lifestyle choices for community residents. The Community Health Nurse counsels, supports and educates individuals involved with NACHC’s sexual health program. The Community Health Nurse provides regular and relief support to the clinic RPN.
* This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
Key Responsibilities / Detailed Responsibilities
- Maintain a client caseload and provide client screening, health education, and care to clients within scope of practice in a manner which emphasizes health promotion and client education, particularly around chronic disease prevention and management and sexual health.
- Provide smoking cessation treatment using the Smoking Treatment for Ontario Patients (STOP) Program.
- Work within a multi-disciplinary setting and with external health care providers to ensure clients receive comprehensive, competent and appropriate health care.
- Work in the clinic on a regular basis and provide coverage for clinic RPN as needed. This includes providing primary health care within scope, triage, client follow up, basic laboratory and phlebotomy procedures and treatment, health education and education.
- Provide primary health care to clients as guided by the College of Nurses of Ontario. Follow medical directives as appropriate.
- Assist other staff in administrative and clinical duties as needed.
- Complete chart documentation using an Electronic Health Record.
- Act as a health advocate for clients
- Work collaboratively with community partners and public health to offer services throughout Greater Napanee (e.g., Deseronto clinic, schools, etc.)
- Participate in the planning, development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of health promotion initiatives on a program and client basis
- Work with community groups and agencies to advocate for and promote healthy choices and initiatives in the CHC’s catchment area
- Contribute to efforts to secure and maximize resources for current and new programs, services and activities related to community health
- Responsible for ordering and maintaining medical, program or laboratory supplies, including supplies for the harm reduction program
- Receive and track referrals
- Participate in chart reviews and case conferences
Support Client Needs
- Works during both regular and extended hours in locations identified by KCHC
- On occasion, performs other temporary duties may be required
- Promotes and demonstrates through example the mission, values, and culture of KCHC.
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Registered Practical Nurse, in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Three plus years nursing experience in a community setting or combination of community and hospital/public health settings; experience in primary care settings an asset; demonstrated ability to work under Medical Directives. STOP smoking cessation training an asset.
- Experience and understanding of marginalized communities and health needs
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, an asset
- Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
- Position Competencies: Communications, Time management, Attention to detail, Knowledge/professional/technical expertise, Teamwork, Relationship Building, Problem Solving, Facilitating Groups
- Proficiency in the use of computers and relevant software applications including Electronic Health Records (e.g., Nightingale On Demand)
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a commitment to being a “team player” in an interdisciplinary team setting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience facilitating groups an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail.
- Valid Driver’s License, valid insurance coverage, and access to vehicle
- Ability to work flexible hours and occasional evenings
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Current certificate in CPR
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- French language is an asset
Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org citing reference “CHRPN-2017” in the subject line.
Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 pm, Monday, August 21, 2017
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres
263 Weller Ave.
Kingston ON, K7K 2V4