June 6-8, 2017
Today, there is a growing movement that is embracing community change at the neighbourhood level. Municipalities and organizations whose mandates span complex community issues such as – enhancing community well-being; encouraging emergency preparedness; creating age-friendly communities; and strengthening community economies – are working together with citizens on neighbourhood-based strategies to positively impact these issues.
Embracing a local approach offers people an opportunity to tackle daunting global challenges at a manageable scale. Local engagement also draws upon people’s unique connection to place and provides the benefit of seeing first-hand the impact of their actions.
Neighbourhoods ♥ The Heart of Community: Mobilizing for Impact is a unique and bilingual national learning event that brings together the most innovative and inspiring examples of neighbourhood action at its best. This bilingual event invites us to accelerate our effectiveness by learning from one another and imagining how we can ensure our collective work has greater impact.
Participants at this event will be introduced (in both official languages) to effective programs and resources that are successfully reconnecting neighbours, deepening community and advancing positive change on a range of complex issues.
Nathalie Fortin, Chair of the Montréal Neighbourhood Tables Coalition and a long-time community activist will be joined by International neighbourhood-builder Michael McAffee, Co-Director of the Promise Neighborhoods Institute (PNI) and Vice-President for Programs at PolicyLink and John McKnight, co-founder of Asset-Based Community Development Institute and renowned community-builder whose work has inspired a generation of community-builders. The insights from these keynotes will be simultaneously interpreted for our French and English learners. Sylvia Cheuy, Director of Tamarack’s Deepening Community Practice Area and the Tamarack Team will guide participants through a dynamic three-day learning agenda will a focus on co-creation, where every person will have the opportunity to learn and share insights from their own work. The core ideas that frame the learning journey of this gathering include:
- The Neighbourhood Scale: The Power of Local Action
- The Role of Citizen Leadership
- Why Working Across Sectors is Essential
- How Local Work Can Be Linked Up to Create Powerful Movements for Change
This event is designed specifically for you if you are:
- A community builder seeking to enhance your knowledge of programs, approaches and resources that you can use to strengthen your neighbourhood leadership and action
- A municipal leader responsible for developing and/or advancing a neighbourhood-based strategy
- A citizen leader in a neighbourhood association
- An elected leader involved in positive neighbourhood change
- A funder who invests in neighbourhood or place-based initiatives
- A planner or researcher who is rethinking the planning and design of communities
- A non-profit leader whose organization mobilizes action for positive community change
For more information, please visit http://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/neighbourhoods.