Deadline March 23, 2017
Location: Healthy Families
Position: Supervisor, School Years Health Program
Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This is a permanent full-time position working 35 hours per week.
Reporting to the Manager, School Years, this position will support the Healthy Families Division through leading a team of professionals in the delivery of the School Years Health Program.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor of Science in Nursing which includes preparation in Public Health Nursing. A current Certificate of Registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario is also required along with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a public health environment and a minimum of two (2) years supervisory experience. This role requires knowledge and experience related to promoting Healthy Schools as well as community/coalition development with a focus on: child and youth growth and development, chronic disease prevention, injury and substance misuse prevention. This position requires a broad knowledge of public health trends, the determinants of health and extensive knowledge of legislation and mandates governing public health. The position requires competency in: project management, forming strategic relationships, report writing, health planning, health communications (including digital), budget monitoring, and performance measurement. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to lead, coach, recruit and manage staff performance. This will also include an understanding of standards and policies that govern professional practice and labour relations. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
The successful candidate will be made an offer of employment on condition that the Regional Municipality of Halton receives a current (obtained within the past six (6) months), original and acceptable Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Screen by the first day of employment. Flexibility in working hours is required as there may be periodic meetings and functions outside of regular business hours. Travel will be required, incumbent must provide their own transportation. The incumbent will be required to provide a copy of their driver’s license by their first day of employment.
- Provide supervision, support, and performance management to School Years Health program staff.
- Recruit staff in collaboration with management team.
- Responsible for the accurate and consistent application of the collective agreement.
- Analyze service levels and performance indicators to assist the Manager in evaluating program efficacy.
- Develop and implement necessary policies, procedures, protocols incorporating current evidence based leading best practices.
- Monitor established achievement objectives within the Ontario Public Health Standards and report to the Program Manager on indicators required.
- Responsible for team planning to meet objectives of program area and the quality assurance of the program through evaluation of performance measures, workload management, project review meetings and documentation review
- Provides consultation for staff members in relation to assessment, planning and evaluation of care.
- Participates on Divisional, Departmental, Interdepartmental, Corporate and community committees as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: March 16, 2017
Posting Expires: March 23, 2017
Posting #: H-135-17
Halton Region is pleased to accommodate applicants who have a disability. Please inform Human Resources at
905-825-6000 ext. 7700 if you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process.