Deadline September 24, 2010
(Grid Level 451-500) Under Review
CUPE Local 543.3
Reporting to the Manager of the Epidemiology Department, the Research Assistant will work with the epidemiologist to assist with management of large health and geographic datasets particularly those related to chronic diseases.
- Provide public health and geographic database management and descriptive analytic support, specifically reviewing and cleaning public health datasets
- Conduct literature searches and provide summaries of findings from literature as part of preliminary planning for new population health assessment, surveillance and research activities, and directions
- Participate in various conference calls and meetings for defined epidemiological projects potentially providing synopses of meeting discussion or action items
- Draft scientific and administrative reports and slide presentations
- Support Epidemiology Department in conferring with other government agencies, community organizations, and the scientific community on future public health projects, technical protocol development, and field research
- Must work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and all policies and procedures of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
- A minimum of a Bachelor of Science or a degree in health sciences
- Graduate degree in biostatistics, statistics, epidemiology, information systems or health economics is preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in and/or knowledge of GIS mapping software (e.g., ArcGIS, RIF)
- Knowledge and experience using various software and databases
- Experience analysing community health and survey data and interpreting results of data analyses using STATA and/or SPSS and/or SAS
- Experience writing and editing scientific documents and data summary reports
- Experience working in a multi-tasking environment, specifically working, in a timely manner, on multiple projects in varying stages with several points of contact
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
Qualified individuals are invited to forward a resumé and cover letter by September 24, 2010 to
Manager of Human Resources
Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
1005 Ouellette Avenue
Windsor, ON N9A 4J8
Fax: (519) 258-6003
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.