Senior Coordinator, Communications, Canadian Cancer Society
Deadline July 28, 2010
1 Year Contract
Creating a world where no Canadian fears cancer. That’s our vision and together, we can make it happen. Join our team of dedicated volunteers and staff to help us reach our goals.
The Senior Coordinator, Communications is responsible for the coordination and implementation of key Public Affairs and Communications strategic initiatives. This position is focused on increasing awareness of the Society's prevention and advocacy programs in support our mission. This role provides communications and media relations support to cancer screening awareness initiatives and fundraising; creates visual presentations; coordinates e-newsletters, as well as; works with suppliers and internal teams as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
Primary Functional Duties
- Responsible for reaching our internal and external audiences through the development and writing of communications tools and tactics, including key messages, news releases, tool kits, backgrounders, website content, prepared stories, facts sheets, e-mails, scripts, etc.
- Coordinates and implements annual communications plans to continually raise awareness throughout the year of colorectal screening, UV Safety and tobacco control programs working closely with the prevention and advocacy team leads.
- Develops media lists and contacts specific to programs and stewards media relationships to ensure increased coverage and increased spokesperson profile.
- Creates dynamic, high-impact presentations slides, including graphics, animation and music for executives and to support of public affairs initiatives, internal communications or mission/revenue activities.
- Creates and maintains an online story centre working with cancer survivors, volunteers and staff.
- Advises and implements outreach and communication strategies to promote the Society’s information and services to diverse communities, i.e. Chinese, LGBQTT, Persian etc.
- Supports the online monthly newsletter Hope Blooms editorial calendar for the year, by sourcing and/or writing stories.
- Provides back up to Senior Coordinator, Public Affairs as required.
- Implements plans to budget, as provided.
- Corporate communications, consumer product marketing or a background in journalism.
- 3-5 years experience working in a high pressure, fast-paced communications/public affairs/marketing environment.
- Knowledge of communications plans, strategies and tactics, including media relations, public relations, promotion and outreach.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Confident in dealing with the media and the public.
- Strong organizational, time management, project management, communication, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Flexibility, ability to deal with competing priorities.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to build solid relationships.
- Dynamic and positive can-do attitude.
- Working knowledge of MS Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Canadian Cancer Society policies and procedures would be an asset.
- Works independently.
- Works as part of multidisciplinary team.
- Responds to inquiries from the general public (in person, on phone or via e-mail).
- Tight deadlines.
- Works with confidential information.
- Multiple priorities and interaction with many clients.
In return for your contributions we offer a starting salary in the low 50K range, and the opportunity to work in a caring and progressive work environment. Qualified non-smokers are invited to send their resume and cover letter, quoting job #OHPE-44 in the subject line by July 28, 2010 to:
Human ResourcesCanadian Cancer Society, Ontario [email protected]
For more information about this and other opportunities to become a member of our dynamic team, please visit our website at http://www.cancer.ca and go to Careers, under About Us.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. The Canadian Cancer Society provides equal opportunity in employment and encourages applications from all qualified persons
A Criminal Records Check is required.