Deadline January 29, 2010
10 Month Contract
The Canadian Mental Health Association – Toronto Branch, in partnership with Access Alliance Multicultural Health and Community Services and Across Boundaries: An Ethno-Racial Mental Health Centre, will develop an anti-racism/ anti-discrimination peer training curriculum and train peers to deliver workshops at places frequented by newcomers and mental health consumers/ survivors to promote the strengthened participation of new immigrants and refugees with mental health issues, and to foster more inclusive and welcoming environments for new immigrants and refugees who face mental health challenges.
As a Peer Trainer, you will work closely with your colleagues and the Project Coordinators to participate in training, provide input into training curriculum and program evaluation, and deliver workshops in the GTA and other select locations in Ontario.
- Participate in training on facilitation and presentations skills, anti-racism/ anti-discrimination, navigating the mental health system and resettlement stress.
- With support from the Project Coordinators, facilitate anti-racism/ anti-discrimination workshops at places frequented by newcomers and mental health consumers/ survivors
- Carry out administrative tasks related to the position as required
- Main location of work will be close to Downsview Subway Station, with travel throughout the GTA and infrequent short trips outside Toronto (a car is not required)
- Personal lived experience with mental health issues AND with immigrating to Canada
- Knowledge and understanding of the mental health needs of newcomers who are experiencing mental health problems
- Understanding of anti-racism/ anti-oppression theory and practice
- Understanding of the interconnection and intersection of different oppressions
- Ability to incorporate feedback
- Experience facilitating workshops would be an asset
Annual Salary: $47,203 (will be pro-rated to 10 months)
Please submit a cover letter and resume by Friday January 29th, 2010 to the Opening Doors Peer Trainer Hiring Panel, Canadian Mental Health Association- Toronto Branch, 700 Lawrence Ave. West, Suite 480, Toronto, ON, M6A 3B4 or Fax (416) 789-9079 or email [email protected]. We thank all applicants however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
The Canadian Mental Health Association is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from equity seeking groups including qualified individuals with personal experience of the mental health system.
Funded by the Government of Canada through Citizenship and Immigration Canada.