Pay Grade: 7
Branch: IT & S
Job ID: 437
Reports to: Director Architecture, Planning & Standards
The Manager, Standards Development Coordination has general responsibility for CIHI's standards development and co-ordination activities including CIHI standards to promote integration and interoperability of CIHI's data holdings and standards related to the pan-Canadian Electronic Health Record (EHR). This position has a significant liaison role with various health information technology experts as well as with provincial, federal, national, and international health information standards initiatives including Canada Health Infoway. The Manager, Standards Development Coordination will work closely with all Managers across CIHI.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the Standards Development Coordination Department (SDC), including the development of objectives. Supervises the work and manages the workload of staff with sound work plans. Leads, recruits, orients and develops staff with the required expertise to support the functional area's responsibilities; evaluates staff performance; recommends educational opportunities; and co-ordinates experiential opportunities for staff growth and development.
- Plans and manages the production of deliverables related to assigned standards projects and activities including leading projects or providing leadership to project managers for projects related to the development, implementation, maintenance and support of health information standards. These projects may include developing and monitoring operating plans, budgets, and work plans and providing documentation regarding projects progress and change requirements, and the supervision of project teams.
- Acts as CIHI's liaison to Infoway regarding EHR standards including: advice and guidance on overall plans and priorities, project administration services as well as activities to undertake the development, consensus building, promulgation of standards and related education programs where engaged to support Infoway-sponsored projects. May also represent CIHI on Infoway committees including: the EHR Standards Steering Committee, the Pan-Canadian EHR Standards Advisory Committee and the Expert Working Group.
- Identifies opportunities for health information standards initiatives and projects that may be undertaken by SDC; develops project charters and funding proposals. Participates and co-ordinates the retaining of such projects.
- Represents CIHI and supports the activities of provincial standards councils and other health information standards committees as appropriate.
- Develops and maintains appropriate contacts with various organizations such as government departments and agencies, health facilities, vendors, consultants, as well as national and international agencies and associations related to health, information, or standards.
- Maintains awareness of health information standards through appropriate participation on health information special interest groups and committees.
- Collaborates with other CIHI managers to ensure that standards initiatives across the organization are harmonized, where appropriate.
- Identifies and develops innovation opportunities which will realise efficiencies and/or new product developments based on emerging health informatics standards.
- Promotes the organization, its products, and services through participation in various marketing and promotion activities.
Knowledge and Experience
- Graduate degree in health administration, health information or related field, or equivalent education/experience.
- Minimum of five years in management and/or project management experience in health service environment.
- Proven experience leading standards development, implementation and maintenance projects.
- Strong conceptual knowledge of health information systems and health information needs.
- Strong conceptual knowledge of health information standards both data/content and messaging standards.
- Strong conceptual knowledge of architectural methods and approaches
- Developed skills in facilitation, consulting, negotiating and interacting with Management Teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven management and analytical skills.
- Ability to fulfil travel requirements.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
For more information and to apply online, visit http://secure.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPage.jsp?cw_page=career_e.