The community spirit found in York Region's nine urban and rural communities makes it a truly great place to live and work. At the heart of our success as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers (2008), and the fastest-growing part of the Greater Toronto Area, are our challenging, diverse career opportunities, ideal location and excellent quality of life.
Environmental Epidemiologist OH8585
Community and Health Services Department
Public Health Branch, Health Protection Division
Full-Time, Salary $41.45 - $45.06 per hour
Reporting to the Manager, Environmental Health, responsible for monitoring and reporting on the health status of York Region residents, conducting epidemiological investigations, assessing the health impact of environmental contaminants and providing expert interpretation of epidemiological research in order to aid risk assessment, risk communication and Health Services Department policy decisions.
- Masters Degree in Epidemiology, combined with two years experience as an Epidemiologist in a public health setting.
- Knowledge of environmental and public heath indicators.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self management and accountability, and flexibility/adaptability.
- Knowledge of the standard principles/methods of epidemiology and related biostatistics for epidemiologic investigations and studies.
- Knowledge of environmental epidemiology including adverse reproductive outcomes, cancer/occupational epidemiology, environmental science and toxicological principles.
- Knowledge of toxicology, chemistry, microbiology and related scientific disciplines pertinent to the assessment of environmental health risks.
- Knowledge of human health risk assessment and of health risks associated with environmental contaminants.
- Knowledge of NPHS, OHS and other emerging survey tools and database sources.
- In-depth knowledge of current issues and practices related to epidemiology, environmental issues, public health and health outcomes.
- Working knowledge of significant municipal, provincial and federal environmental legislation.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and well-developed presentation skills.
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications and the Internet, as well as statistical and epidemiological packages such as SPSS, HELPS, BI Query and BI Analyze.
- Ability to conduct and synthesize both novel and metanalysis research.
- Ability to plan, develop, implement and evaluate environmental epidemiological projects and programs.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of data.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours, on occasion, as required.
This position is located at 465 Davis Drive, Newmarket, ON. Please forward your resume and covering letter quoting competition OH8585 by 4:30 pm on January 30, 2009 to the address indicated below. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For additional information on York Region, please visit our website at http://www.york.ca.
The Regional Municipality of York
Human Resources Services Branch
17250 Yonge Street
Newmarket, ON L3Y 6Z1
Fax: (905) 895-4232